Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Cheshire County has been the area's leader in emergency response following fire and smoke related damage to residential and commercial properties since the late 1970s. By using the latest technology, specially formulated cleaning products, utilizing around the clock availability, and having a team of highly trained fire and smoke damage restoration professionals, SERVPRO of Cheshire County is ready to handle your fire damage emergency no matter the size or severity. Prior to the arrival of SERVPRO of Cheshire County, review these pointers and actions that can be taken to greatly reduce the possibility of secondary damage following your fire or smoke damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (603) 352-7251
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.