Characteristics of Smoke from Fire and Fire Damage in Your Jaffrey Home
Team SERVPRO Understands the Fire Process, and How to Best Remediate the Damage Left Behind
Not many people in Jaffrey consider the danger of their clothes dryer in regards to fires. Sometimes a faulty appliance is to blame, but many fires can be prevented with the proper venting of your dryer. Reduced airflow from lint accumulation provides the perfect conditions for a fire. Lint is extremely combustible, so keeping your dryer free of it is essential.
Many newer homes have dryers located away from an outside wall, which means they are vented longer distances, and there are more places for lint to gather. Your home could be at more risk for fire and fire damage in Jaffrey from a lint buildup if your dryer has more extended venting. If you have experienced a fire already, contact our professional staff at SERVPRO for help restoring and repairing your home.
When dealing with fire damage of any kind, we also deal with smoke and smoke damage. During a fire, as burning materials decompose, they release gases, solid particles, and aerosols which become suspended in the air. These suspended gases, particles, and aerosols make up smoke.
The invisible components of smoke are gases. Oxides of nitrogen are made when organic compounds burn, and sulfur dioxide is made when inorganic compounds burn. SERVPRO techs understand that some of the gaseous by-products from a fire, like hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide, are very dangerous if people are exposed to the smoke during the fire. Once it has been extinguished, and the smoke has been dispersed and evacuated, gases are not a significant factor.
Besides fire gases, smoke consists of aerosols and fine particles as well. The solid particles of material that are not burned are usually small particles of carbon. Aerosols are very fine liquid or solid particles which are suspended inside gases. The particles, while suspended, are what makes smoke visible to us. They absorb odors, making soot stink.
Once smoke settles on surfaces, it is known as soot. These residues can contain different acids since sulfides and chlorides in smoke combine with humidity in the air or with moisture to make acids. Acidic soot residues cause corrosion and discoloration of materials over time.
Because of this, SERVPRO of Cheshire County works quickly to clean the residues from your home in Dublin, Swanzey, or Fitzwilliam after a fire, helping to prevent additional damage. As soon as the fire is out, contact us at (603) 352-7251 so we can restore your home in a timely fashion.
Click here for more about Jaffrey.