Keep Your Holiday Lights Festive, Not Frightful
The holiday season is a time for gathering with friends and family to enjoy precious moments and quality time. As the weather outside turns frightful, we rely on the warmth of our homes to host these gatherings with loved ones. Lights, candles and decorations are part of what makes the holiday season so magical however, if you are not careful, that magic could turn dark.
SERVPRO and the American Red Cross have teamed up to offer some tips to help reduce your risk of fire in your home or business this holiday season.
- Keep Christmas trees, candles and any other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources such as fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and do not use any light strings or other holiday decorations with frayed electrical cords.
- Before going to bed or leaving your property, ensure tree and holiday lights are unplugged.
- Extinguish candles before leaving a room or going to bed and never use lit candles to decorate your tree.
- Keep curious pets and young children away from Christmas trees and only use sturdy tree stands.
- When using your stove top, keep anything that can catch fire away from the area such as: pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper/plastic bags, food packaging, towels or curtains.
- After guests leave, designate one person to walk around the home/property to ensure candles and other smoking materials are properly extinguished.
If disaster does strike during the holidays, SERVPRO of Windham and Windsor Counties is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make it "Like it never even happened." We wish you a merry and bright holiday season!